An automated external defibrillator (AED) is a portable device that checks the heart rhythm. If needed, it can send an electric shock to the heart to try to restore a normal rhythm. AEDs are used to treat sudden cardiac arrest (SCA).
Defibrillator List …
The Bear Hotel [located in reception] Market Place, SN10 1HS | 01380 722444
The Toilets on the Green [opposite Morrisons entrance] Estcourt Street SN10 4QU
Devizes Sports Club London Road SN10 2DL | 01380 729652
The Market Place Dental Practice The Brittox SN10 1AR | 01380 722007
Old Swan Yard High Street SN10 1AT
Ambulance Station Bridewell Street SN10 1NE
The Leisure Centre The Green SN10 5AB | 01380 826111
Hillworth Park Café (10am to 4pm) Queens Road SN10 5HT | 01380 723333
St James’ Church [located in church office] Church Walk SN10 3AA | 01380 723891
The Post Office Sorting Office Maryport Street SN10 1DN | 01380 722996
New Park Street [outside Carpet Right] 21-22 New Park St, Devizes SN10 1DX
- SCA is a condition in which the heart suddenly and unexpectedly stops beating. When this happens, blood stops flowing to the brain and other vital organs.
- SCA usually causes death if it’s not treated within minutes. In fact, each minute of SCA leads to a 10 percent reduction in survival. Using an AED on a person who is having SCA may save the person’s life.
- AEDs are lightweight, battery-operated, portable devices that are easy to use. Each unit comes with instructions, and the device will even give you voice prompts to let you know if and when you should send a shock to the heart.
- Learning how to use an AED and taking a CPR course are helpful. However, if trained personnel aren’t available, untrained people also can use an AED to help save someone’s life.
- You often find AEDs in places with many people, such as shopping malls, golf courses, businesses, airports, airplanes, casinos, convention centers, hotels, sports venues, and schools. You also can purchase a home-use AED.
- Ninety-five percent of people who have SCA die from it—most within minutes. Rapid treatment of SCA with an AED can be lifesaving.