Making our town an attractive environment for all to enjoy is something that the Town Council takes great pride in, and our commitment to ‘In Bloom’ at a local level is part of our drive to improve our space.
Planters in Town
The hanging baskets outside many of the businesses are paid for by the business owners and generally made to order and then tended and watered through a contractual agreement.
The large blue containers belonging to Devizes Town Council that are dotted about, the roundabout by The Green, the various troughs and beds, and all containers and baskets on Council-owned buildings are planted and maintained by the brilliant Parks and Open Spaces team, based at the award-winning Hillworth Park.
About In Bloom
Behind the scenes, a team of volunteers forms the In Bloom Committee. Their aim is to encourage people of the town to participate in making our spaces and gardens as lovely as possible by:
- Whipping up enthusiasm in residents and businesses alike – and in particular new community groups – to beautify the town
- Encouraging residents to enter our annual Devizes In Bloom competition, which they then judge in various categories
- Getting schools and youth groups involved in an environmentally-themed competition of their own, with the entries displayed on the roundabout by The Green in June and July
- Organising the Open Gardens weekend every other year, to support the Mayor’s Charity appeal
- Holding a Presentation Evening in September to celebrate the past year’s achievements
- Thinking up new ideas to keep going forward, which reflect the challenges we face
- Meeting up every six weeks or so at the Town Hall to thrash out ideas and review, ably supported by the Town Hall administrative staff.
If you think you would like to be involved in all of this, please give Lauren or Jan a call on 01380 723333 or email the Town Hall, and you will be invited along to one of the meetings – and very much welcomed.
Every other year the Devizes in Bloom committee organise an Open Gardens event raising money for the Mayor’s Appeal whilst enjoying a piece of cake and a hot drink! This is a chance for anyone who enjoys gardening to either enter their own creations or have a look around at other people’s.
A Poem by Jennie Brown
We do hope that you enjoy the fruits of all our labours and that Devizes is a town that you will enjoy and come back to.