The Town Hall is closed to all to all face to face visits so if you need to contact us call 01380 722160. Please note we are running the Devizes Covid19 Support for Town Hall so our switchboard maybe busy CLICK/TAP HERE FOR DETAILS ON HOW OUR SERVICES ARE AFFECTED ▶
Charges & Regulations for its Management
1 APRIL 2020 to 31 March 2021
This document sets out the standard fees and charges for services provided in Devizes Cemetery. A 50% reduction on specific fees is available for those residents who live within the parishes of either Devizes or Roundway. In addition, some users of the cemetery will qualify for the reduction in charges as they meet criteria previously agreed by the Burial Authority. If you are unsure if you qualify for a reduced fee, then please contact officers at the Burial Authority.
Where reduction in the fees is given, these are shown on the price list below the standard fee. If a customer is unsure if they qualify for a reduction in fees, a flow chart at the end of the document should provide sufficient information for them to make that determination.
Should a customer believe their circumstances entitles them to a reduction in fees, but is not supported by the flowchart, an application must be made in writing and may be considered by the committee. Such an application must set out why the customer believes they have been disadvantaged by the Burial Committee charging policy and why they believe they qualify for a reduction. The determination of such an application is at the discretion of the Burial Committee and there will be no right of appeal.
The fees do not include the digging of the grave for full interment.
For the interment in a grave which is either purchased or non-purchased the body of a still-born child or child whose age at the time of death did not exceed 12 months, irrespective of depth
Free of charge
For the interment in a purchased or non-purchased grave of the body of a person whose age at the time of death is between 12 months and 12 years 50% discount of adults fee.
Standard Administration Fee
Discounted price for Devizes & Roundway Residents
For the interment in a purchased or non-purchased grave of the body of a person whose age at the time of death exceeded 12 years,
For any interment in a vault,
Standard Fee + costs
For burials on Saturdays, Sundays or Bank Holidays (subject to the availability of staff) an additional fee on top of the standard fee will be charged:-
Saturday Fee (Double standard fee)
Sunday or Bank Holiday Fee (Triple standard fee)
Single depth full grave
Double depth full grave
Triple depth full grave
Full grave for interment with casket
Saturday Fee (Standard fee + 25%)
Sunday or Bank Holiday Fee (Standard fee + 50%)
Purchase of Exclusive Rights of Burial (40 year lease)
In a grave 9’ x 4’ (single space)
In a grave 6’ x 3’ (child’s grave)
Extension of rights for 10 years only (25% of current rights fee – will not apply until 2046)
For the right to construct and for the Exclusive Right of Burial in walled grave or vault (40 year lease)
9’ x 4’ (single space)
Memorials may only be erected on graves in respect of which an Exclusive Right of Burial has been purchased. The fees below include the first inscription and are subject to VAT. An additional fee is payable for each subsequent inscription. Headstones only are permitted on Sections Ex2 and Ex3 and the dimensions must not exceed 4’ in height and 3’ x 18” base. For the right to erect on a grave for an initial period of 5 years:
A headstone or footstone with or without a flower container (initial 5 year grant)
Each additional foot in height
Extension of right to erect a memorial for 5 years only (10% of current rights fee)
A flat stone or a Kerbstone/ Border stone including head or footstone:-
Enclosing a space not exceeding 8’ x 3’6” (single space)
Enclosing a space not exceeding 8’ x 7’ (double space)
A Vase not exceeding 12” in height
Fees include full preparation of grave for cremated remains
For the interment of cremated remains in any section
Strewing or scattering of Ashes in Garden of Remembrance
For an interment on Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holidays (subject to the availability of staff) an additional fee on top of the normal fees will be charged:-
In a grave 2’ x 2’ (cremated remains) - 40 year lease
In a grave in the Headstones section - 40 year lease
A tablet on a special section for cremated remains (initial 5 year grant)
Each additional foot in height (Where Permitted)
Garden of Remembrance commemorative plaque for a period of 20 years. Standard size (5” x 4”) with a maximum of 54 letters
Please note that only a floral container mounted into the tablet is allowed on the Lawn for Cremated Remains. It is not permissible to place any container adjacent to the memorial neither is it permissible to temporarily place a vase on the grave.
Exhumation Fee - Cremated Remains
Use of Cemetery Chapel
Use of the Bier
Photo Plaques are permitted to be displayed on graves subject to the following conditions:
(1) The size of the plaque, either oval or square shaped, is not to exceed 9cms x 7cms and the photo image encased in a sealed unit produced by an approved manufacturing process.
(2) The plaque may only be affixed to the Headstone.
(3) Only the photograph of the person (or persons) actually interred in the grave may be displayed. (Thus where an Exclusive Right of Burial has been granted it is possible that the headstone may display as many as 3 photo plaques for family members interred in the same grave space.)
(4) The Committee will not accept responsibility for fading of the photo image, loss of colour, vandalism or damage howsoever caused except where it can be satisfactorily shown the damage was done by cemetery staff acting in the course of their duties.
(5) An additional fee will be charged to the applicant to mount and display the plaque(s) which must be properly and securely affixed by a recognised monumental mason.
Memorial Trees are available in Devizes Cemetery on the following terms and conditions:
(1) If the applicant wishes to erect a plaque this must be of a standard size 7” x 6” and will be supplied, lettered and fixed by the Devizes Town Council.
(2) The maximum number of letters permitted on the plaque is 54.
(3) Details of the lettering must be submitted and approved by the Devizes Town Council.
(4) The cost of the lettered and affixed plaque will be that shown on the current schedule of fees.
Memorial benches are permitted in Devizes Cemetery; details of those suitable will be supplied upon application. Only approved styles will be permitted, these will be supplied at cost and sited by Cemetery staff at an agreed location.